The Society has a long pedigree, stretching back to the closing decade of the Nineteenth Century. Here are some extracts from our archives:
1893 – the formation of the Society
1893 – ‘The first annual show of flowers, plants, fruit and vegetables in connection with the Lowdham and District Horticultural Society was held on Thursday in a field at the rear of the Magna Charta Inn…..The Hucknall Temperance Band was in attendance and played several interesting selections of music during the afternoon and evening.’ (Newark Advertiser August 26th 1893)
1920 – Lowdham’s Village Policeman – Edgar Sears – was a National Winner of The Daily Mail Cup. He was a specialist grower of sweet peas supplying Nottingham Florists Skinner and Rook.
1933 – Lowdham and District Flower Show Committee was the new name given to the Lowdham and District Branch of the Nottingham Children’s Hospital Cot and Free Medicine Fund.
1937 – “In connection with the Annual Flower Show to be held on the 21st August, the Committee will be glad to receive the names of any persons who are willing to help.”(Nothing new in that respect then!)
1949 – This was the first ‘Lowdham Horticultural Show’, previously having included a gymkana. There were four classes for eggs with a prize of 5/- (25p)
1953 – the Show was held on the wettest day of the Summer and a financial loss was incurred. As a result of this, in 1954 the Committee appealed for more entries to help with the loss.
We are very interested in adding to our archive. If you have any relevant material – especially photographs – please get in touch.